I am a tools-agnostic creator with over a decade of experience in designing and developing products, platforms and experiences in the digital space.
I specialise in
- Web Development
- User Experience Design
- Design Systems
- Technology Strategy
I am also experienced in:
- Business Development
- Resource planning
- Program management
Extracurricular ( Past / Present )
- Classical Ballet
- Double Bass
Leading front-end development across multiple delivery teams (Spotify model), creating Bupa’s design system “Mesh”. Brought component reusability from 0 to 1/5 in 12 months.
- Preparing product initiatives for delivery intake
- Digital org operations activities/Ways of working
- Establishing and coordinating a culture and events-planning team for the org
- Forward planning of technology roadmap
- Resourcing and personnel management across delivery teams
- Setting up a playbook for delivering a ‘deep’ integrated Design System for Bupa ANZ • Technical Architecture for Design System
- Typical line management activities
- Configure AWS EC2 environment & pipeline for Design System documentation site
Driving solution architecture, user experience and front-end engineering practice across Predix Studio (product) and the Predix UI (Design System).
- Design System development using Polymer
- Develop a Webpack plugin to ‘stitch’ our existing application to new components more easily
- Continue to improve overall customer experience with new designs and improvements
- CI/CD integration for Design System
We ran a very lean agile process and were the most performant team in our organisation (velocity/feature delivery). Unfortunately, in early 2019, our product was discontinued and the majority of the organisation was made redundant.
Technology Programme Lead for Melbourne, managing a team of designers, developers and producers across a variety of brands including Alfa Romeo, Australia Post, PTV & Monash University. Achievements/Responsibilities:
- Build and nurture a high-velocity digital team as well as manage ongoing dynamic resourcing for projects
- Develop responses for RFQs/RFPs for digital services($150k-12m)
- Thought Leadership across technology and digital experience
- Develop best practises and workflows documentation for digital team
- Implemented automated software deployments strategy using Heroku to set up release pipelines for all digital projects drastically reducing devOps overhead and maintenance fees
- Introduced modern web technologies and techniques to uplift overall capability and delivery standards
I work with Alaud on a per-project basis, providing a technology arm to their service offering primarily focused on creative technology & installation opportunities.
Some of the more notable projects were:
- Launched Calvin Klein 2016 Fall collection live on periscope via custom-built streaming software. This was used again for CK’s ‘Rave in the Desert’ 2016 event at Coachella Music Festival.
- Launched Domaine Chandon’s brand new, interactive tour installation featuring a photo booth and AR-based bottle popping competition. I personally led the creative development, installation design, production process, development and launch for these two installations.
I was brought on board to redesign and architect the next version of BitStew’s Mix Director product: a ‘big’ industry IIOT platform.
I shaped the design & UX direction of the product ahead of acquisition by GE and until my departure, was the primary UX designers & front-end architect.
I founded a digital agency providing creative technology consultancy services as well as various ‘bread and butter’ digital agency functions.
Edelman, REBORN, Lowe Profero, Zipments & BP Partners, Prismatik, The Creative Company, Freelance
“Incredibly smart, tirelessly dedicated, and always on the hunt for a newer, better, more creative way of solving problems, Michael tackles every assignment with boundless energy and good humour. If you need a fiendishly clever and capable addition to your team, Michael's your guy.”
“What has always impressed me with Michael is his ability to rapidly absorb vast amounts of knowledge and apply it with creativity and artistry to high quality products designs. Michaels ability to develop truly visionary designs that still manage to fit within the constraints of customer demands makes him a rare entity indeed and a truly Creative Technologist in every sense. I very rarely write recommendations for people as they often sound somewhat insincere or contrived but I am posting one for Michael because he is one of those rare individuals that will absolutely, without a doubt, help any team creating exciting bleeding edge tech absolutely dominate their market. if you are lucky enough to have Michael apply for a position in your team do not waste any more time with other candidates. hire this man on the spot”
“Michael has the rare gift of being able to thrive in ambiguity, and is impressively adaptable, naturally talented and driven to succeed. Bright and always up for a challenge, he is a fast learner who responds well to guidance and works well in teams or alone. He does great work, and I'm thoroughly impressed.”